Position: Environment, Health & Safety Officer
Duration: 5-month contract (based on the project period)
Remuneration: Market Related
Reporting to: Project Manager
Location: Eastern Cape Local Content Hub, 33 Church Street, Quigney, East London
Job Ref: ECFH/0001
The NFVF in partnership with the Eastern Cape Development Corporation and the Cortex Hub have established an Eastern Cape Film Hub with the strategic goal to increase access to production facilities and to create sustainable platforms for the production of film and television.
The Health & Safety Officer will develop and oversee the implementation of all health and safety documents, and processes, as well as ensuring effective Health & Safety operations on the construction site of the Film Hub.
- Have experience of working as a Health, Safety and Environment Coordinator or Officer
- Basic knowledge in Healthcare issues
- Basic knowledge of Environment issues
- Be in possession of a driver’s license
- Be open to work unfixed hours as and when required
- To be based on construction site on a full-time basis
The incumbent will be required to undertake the following duties and activities:
- Prepare and document a health and safety specification for the construction work, and provide the contractor with the same
- Promptly provide the principal contractor and his or her agent with any information which might affect the health and safety of any person at work carrying out construction work
- Ensure that each principal contractor is appointed in writing for the project or part thereof on a construction site
- Take reasonable steps to ensure that each principal contractor’s health and safety plan as determined in sub regulation 5(1) is implemented and maintained on the construction site: Provided that the steps taken, shall include periodic audits at intervals mutually agreed upon between the client and principal contractor, but at least once every month
- Stop any contractor from executing construction work which is not in accordance with the principal contractor’s health and safety plan contemplated in sub regulation 5(1) for the site or which poses to be a threat to the health and safety of persons
- Ensure that where changes are brought about, sufficient health and safety information and appropriate resources are made available to the principal contractor to execute the work safely
- Ensure that every principal contractor is registered and in good standing with the compensation fund or with a licensed compensation insurer prior to work commencing on site
- Ensure that the principal contractor has made provision for the cost of health and safety measures during the construction process
- Ensure that the client discusses and negotiates with the principal contractor the contents of the health and safety plan contemplated in sub regulation 5(1) and thereafter finally approve the health and safety plan for implementation
- Make sure that a copy of the principal contractor’s health and safety plan is available on request to an employee, inspector or other contractor
- Ensure that the principal contractor has the necessary competencies and resources to carry out the work safely
- Ensure that as agent the client has appointed him/her to act as his or her representative and where such an appointment is made, the responsibilities as are imposed by the regulations upon a client, shall as far as reasonably practicable apply to the appointment
- The Health and safety officer shall have the necessary competencies and resources to perform the duties imposed on a client by the regulations
- Monitor that the contractor’s health and safety representatives perform their duties, which include:
- Review the effectiveness of the health and safety measures, identify potential hazards and major incidents, examine causes of incidents (in collaboration with his employer, the Contractor), investigate complaints by employees relating to health and safety at work, make representations to the employer (Contractor) or inspector on general matters affecting the health and safety of employees, inspect the workplace, plant, machinery etc. on a regular base, to participate in consultations with inspectors and to attend meetings of the health and safety committee.
- Provide reports on regular basis
- Carry out task assigned by the Project Manager or delegated person
- Coordinate activities on Site with regards to Heath, Safety and Environment, Accident and incident inquiries;
- Monitor of environment management plan implementation and compliance
- Training of small contractors / labour in respect to Environment, Health and Safety in the Work Environment, if required
- Advising the Project Manager on any issues, claims and do follow-ups on cases opened
- Liaise with the Project Manager on Health and Safety and Environment issues.
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates are invited to submit their abridged curriculum vitae via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax on 086 519 7585 no later than 13 September 2019 at 12h00 quoting a relevant reference number.
Interview Date: 17 September 2019 in East London
Enquiries: Thobela Mayinje – 011 483 0880 / email@example.com