CALL FOR A PRODUCTION COMPANY TO FACILITATE THE COMMISSIONING OF SHORT FILMS FOR THE 3rd BRICS FILM FESTIVAL
The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) in partnership with the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC) invites all eligible production companies to respond to the call for a facilitator to oversee the production of short films for the 3rd BRICS Film Festival.
South Africa has assumed BRICS rotational Chairpersonship for 2018, succeeding the People’s Republic of China. The year 2018 completes the first decade of BRICS Summits. South Africa will host the 10th BRICS Summit and the 3rd BRICS Film Festival. In South Africa, 2018 also marks Nelson Mandela’s centenary. The 3rd BRICS Film Festival will be the main focus at this year’s Durban International Film Festival (DIFF) that will be taking place from the 19th – 29th July 2018.
As a member of BRICS, South Africa through the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC) is seeking a production company to facilitate the production of 5 short films from the 5 BRICS countries. Each country will have to produce a 5 minute short film under the theme, “Mandela” (sub-themes to be confirmed). The short films must reflect the uniqueness of each country i.e. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. Also, show how the 5 countries relate to Nelson Mandela and the impact he had through leadership, politics, humanity, culture, and unity.
The films will be a collection of short films from across the BRICS countries that will be screened at the Durban International Film Festival in July as part of the 3rd BRICS Film Festival.
The producer is expected to oversee the production of films that tell a broader cultural story in the context of strong, bold, engaging characters. Stories that have Nelson Mandela as a main protagonist but not a key priority of this project. The aim is for the suite of films to have a diversity of views and perspectives and at the same time demonstrate our un-deniable human connection with each other beyond border lines. The films must have high production value and be compelling. The production company will be responsible for identifying the BRICS companies that will be participating in the programme and make a recommendation to the NFVF and DAC for final appointment. The NFVF and DAC will assist with the process of procuring production companies from the 5 BRICS countries that will be participating in this programme
The producer must be able to deliver all films by 17 June 2018. The total budget including production and facilitation fee for the commissioning of the 5×5 minute films is R2, 800,000 (two million and eight hundred thousand rand).
The total budget breakdown is as follows:
- R300 000 (three hundred thousand rand) – producer/facilitation fee
- R500 000 (five hundred thousand rand) for production and post-production for each film including archive /or any rights that might need clearance.
In order for a production company to be considered, the producer / production company must meet the following requirements:
- Producer/s must be a South African citizen.
- Production Company to be at least 51% owned and managed by applicant.
- Production Company should have completed at least one narrative feature film, feature length documentary or television drama series which have been released theatrically or broadcast nationally.
- Only Tier 1 and Tier 2 producers will be considered. Refer to the NFVF funding policy for definition of Tiers.
- Producer or Production Company must indicate the ability to work with local and international production companies.
Criteria that will be taken into consideration when assessing applications include:
- Capacity of company to produce at highest standards within strict deadlines.
- Clear understanding of budgeting and delivery within budget.
- Unique selling point in respect of sustainability and contribution to transformation in the industry.
COMPULSORY APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
All applicants must submit the following compulsory documentation:
- CVs of key management and creative team
- Budget and proposed production schedule
- Show reel and/ or portfolio of work
- BBBEE certificate
- Original valid tax clearance certificate (MUST BE VALID FOR 3 MONTHS)
- Company registration document and
Failure to submit any one of the compulsory documentation will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified for consideration.
CLOSING DATE: 25 April 2018 by 17h00.
Applications may be submitted by email only to email@example.com. Please ensure that the submission is titled: 3rd BRICS FILM FESTIVAL.