CALL FOR DOCUMENTARY PROJECTS: CELEBRATING SOUTH AFRICAN HERITAGE AND CULTURAL DIVERSITY
The National Film and Video Foundation, an agency of the Department of Arts and Culture, invites eligible Tier 2 and Tier 3 filmmakers to submit proposals under the theme, South African Heritage and Cultural diversity as part of heritage month celebration. The films will be broadcast/screened during Heritage Month in September 2018.
In pursuance of our strategic pillar of Promoting Social Cohesion and Nation Building, the NFVF will be funding the production of 2 x 45-minute documentary films to the total value of R750,000 per film (seven hundred and fifty thousand rand).
Terms of Reference:
The call seeks to award R750 000 funding each to Tier 2 and 3 filmmakers to produce one documentary each in keeping with the theme of the “South African Social and Cultural Diversity”.
The proposals submitted should embrace South African cultural diversity to ensure nation-building and social cohesion.
The films must embrace South African heritage, culture and indigenous languages in a unique and balanced view. The films must showcase the country’s diverse heritage that includes but not limited to indigenous foods, music, dance and craft among others.
The films that are produced out of this initiative will meet the NFVF’s requirements for content that informs, educates, entertains and offers unique perspectives of South Africa’s realities utilizing engaging characters and exploring original points of view.
“Until the lion tells his own stories, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.”
We reside in a country where we need to increase the spaces available to tell our own stories. We have been the hunted, the harmed, the imprisoned, those whose achievements were invisible to those who wrote history. Now liberated from this painful past, we tell our own stories but if we cannot create places and encourage the spaces in which these stories are told, then the stories may cease to exist. Yet our mandate as the Arts, Culture and Heritage portfolio is nation-building and social cohesion.
Minister of Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa
- Concepts with a strong and clear premise;
- Concepts that aim for objectivity, while still presenting a clear point of view;
- Original and unique stories.
In order for a production company to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Producer/s must be South African citizens.
- Producer must demonstrate some knowledge with packaging and marketing of documentary films.
- Tier 2 filmmakers should have completed at least 3 (three) documentary films which have been broadcast on television or exhibited in a festival
- Tier 3 filmmakers should have completed 1-2 short films (or documentary)
- 80% indigenous (vernacular) language representation and 20% English or Afrikaans
- Applicants who have four active NFVF funded projects across the value chain in one funding cycle are also not eligible
- Company must be 51% black owned and managed by a black producer
Selection Criteria for Projects:
- A strong written concept for a stand-alone film with a clearly thought out premise or controlling idea.
- The length of the film should be for a television hour.
- The films must have completed development or be in early stages of pre-production in order to meet deadline for September 2018 screenings/broadcast.
- Distribution potential.
- The producer must have the ability to deliver on a realistic budget and have the ability to manage the budget.
- The content must appeal to a local and global audiences
- The producer must demonstrate a plan to complete and deliver the project by 30th July 2018.
All applications should be titled: DOCUMENTARY PROJECTS: SOUTH AFRICAN HERITAGE AND CULTURAL DIVERSITY.
Applications must include:
- 1-page synopsis
- Visual treatment
- Detailed outline
- Character bible
- Consent forms (optional)
- CVs of key creative team with showreel/portfolio of work
- Finance and recoupment plan (if budget exceeds the allocated amount)
- Proposed production schedule
- Marketing and distribution strategy and plan
All applicants must submit the following compulsory documentation:
- BBBEE certificate;
- Original valid tax clearance certificate (valid for 3 months)
- Certified ID copy (valid for 3 months)
- Company registration document
Failure to submit the above-mentioned compulsory documentations will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified.
Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com. Any queries maybe directed to Yolanda Ncokotwana at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: 26 October 2017 by 17h00.