DIRECTORS FOR YOUTH FILMMAKERS’ PROJECT: CALLOUT 2017/2018
This is a callout to apply for the Youth Filmmaker Project where 10 directors will be selected to direct 24 minutes films which will produced by Triangle Post and Animation Studios in association with NFVF.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Youth Filmmaker’s Project is an initiative from the National Film and Video Foundation that is meant for only the youth filmmakers that are trying to make it in this industry. The aim of the project is to direct 10 films over the period of 10 weeks. We are looking for 10 directors who will direct these 24 minute scripts that will be produced by Triangle Post and Animation Studios. Our directors will go through a series of workshops by qualified mentors in the industry who will equip our directors with the right tools on directing films.
Triangle Post and Animation Studios in collaboration with National Film and Video Foundation will go through a selection process where only 10 directors will be selected in the end. Triangle Post under the guidance of Asivhanzhi (Asi) Mathaba will provide the director with qualified mentors and production team for their films.
This project is targeted mainly for the directors who want to break into the industry. It is for filmmakers who have passion for directing and would like to take directing as a career. This is the platform to make sure that they have at least their first directing experience that will work towards creating their portfolios.
WORKSHOPS AND TRAININGS
Chosen directors will be taken through a process of workshops. These workshops will take one week to develop the directing skills and also work close with the writers.
Each director will be work with professional production crew. All workshops and shoots will take place in and around Johannesburg
A director will be considered upon meeting the following qualifications:
• Youth applicant not above the age of 35 years
• New in the industry and preference will be given to Youths who have not had an opportunity to make a film
• Can be from any province with South Africa but preference will be given to applicants residing outside the main regions of Gauteng and Western Cape
• Youth applicants must have passion for directing.
• Applicant must make sure that s/he is available without fail for the duration of shooting the film allocated to him/her.
Eligible candidates for the project must meet the following criteria:
• Must have a passion for directing.
• Have a good eye for telling stories using pictures.
• Have a passion for telling stories that resonate with our present context
• Preference to be given to the Youth of historically disadvantaged background
• Be willing to meet the demands of the film industry and be present at every training and workshop.
• Be willing to work in a team in order to achieve the same set goals for the project.
• Can work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
All applicants are required to submit the following documents in order to be considered:
• Any work done as a director in the industry.
• Motivation letter (as to why you think you need to be selected)
• Detailed CV of the applicant
• Certified copy of ID document (not older than 3 months)
• Show reel/work portfolio (if available)
*NB: All entries to be sent to email@example.com
Please make sure that you attach all required documents because any missing documents will lead to automatic disqualification. All shortlisted candidates will be given a free pitching session by our mentor director before going for the actual pitch.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday; 02nd February 2018.